Thursday, November 17, 2011

Changing the World

I am reading this book called The Gospel According To Larry by Janet Tashjian and the guy in the book wants to try and change the world. It made me think of when I went to a Youth Leadership Symposium in Dillingham, AK, and it made me want to change something. Someones life or maybe more then one life. I've noticed that sometimes, some books just make sense. Another book like that is Little Brother by Cory Doctorow.

My teacher likes to put up little quotes and pictures she finds on the internet and they all make sense. Like this one that says,

"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience. Our problem is that people all over the world have obeyed the dictates of the leaders of their government and have gone to war, and millions have been killed because of this obedience...Our problem is that people are obedient all over the world in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty. Our problem is that people are obedient while the jails are full of petty thieves, and all the while the grand thieves are running the country. Thats our problem." ~ Howard Zinn

Makes sense doesn't it? It might not to some of you but it made sense to me. There is another quote but I do not feel like typing it at the moment, so I will do it some other time. I love quotes, they are just so inspirational sometimes.

I have started listening to some podcasts that one of my friends told me about. One is called RadioLab. And the other is called Bioneers. RadioLab is more about scientific subjects. A few I've listened to are about things such as stress, the mind and who you are and I started one about sleep but havn't listened to it all the way. Bioneers are more about inspirational subjects. One was about how we live in a world of chemicals and how we are ruining the earth. They are really great podcasts. I would recommend them to anybody. My friend told me it was like subliminal learning because you could put them on your iPod and do other things while still learning about things.

Thats all for now :D

1 comment:

  1. Be sure to check out: "This I Believe" and "This American Life" - they are also super awesome podcasts.

    ReplyDelete